Gamesandlearning.org is a project of the Games and Learning Publishing Council (GLPC). The GLPC is a group of game developers, industry leaders, investors, scholars and education experts who seek to unlock the power of gaming-based learning.
Growing evidence shows that digital games have the potential to make academic content more engaging, adaptive and relevant for students while providing measurable outcomes for teachers. The GLPC believes that by advancing and sharing information about the impact games have on learning, improving the ability of producers and investors to create marketable, research-based educational games, and including policy makers and practitioners in the conversation, more effective projects can reach more students (especially within low performing schools and underserved communities).
Both the work of the GLPC and gamesandlearning.org are made possible by support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Games and Learning Publishing Council
Senior Fellow and Executive Director Emeritus, The George Lucas Educational Foundation
Dr. Chen is executive director emeritus of The George Lucas Educational Foundation (GLEF), a nonprofit operating foundation that utilizes media, especially its multimedia website Edutopia.org, award-winning magazine, Edutopia: The New World of Learning, and documentary films, to communicate a new vision for 21st century schools. Prior to joining GLEF in 1998, Milton was the founding director of the KQED Center for Education (PBS) in San Francisco.
He has been a director of research at Sesame Workshop, working on Sesame Street, The Electric Company, and 3-2-1 Contact, and an assistant professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. He chairs the advisory council for the Fred Rogers Center for Early Learning and Children’s Media at St. Vincent College in Pennsylvania and is a trustee of the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy.
Milton received an A.B. from Harvard College and a Ph.D from Stanford University. Perhaps most importantly, on his 50th birthday, he was named a Jedi Master by George Lucas.
- Michael Angst, Co-Founder and CEO, E-Line Media
- Sujata Bhatt, Founder and Lead Teacher, the Incubator School, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Linda Burch, Co-Founder and Chief Education and Strategy Officer, Common Sense Media
- Dee Chambliss, Program Officer, Texas High School Project at Communities Foundation of Texas
- Christopher L. Curran, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Education Growth Partners
- Sara DeWitt, Vice President, PBS KIDS Digital
- Virginia Edwards, Editor in Chief, EducationWeek
- Robert Gehorsam, Executive Director, Institute of Play
- Din Heiman, COO and General Manager, BrainPOP
- Erik Huey, Senior Vice President, Entertainment Software Association (ESA)
- Laird Malamed, Adjunct Professor, USC School of Cinematic Arts
- Deborah McGriff, Managing Director, NewSchools Venture Fund
- Mark Nieker, President, Pearson Foundation
- Scot Osterweil, Creative Director, MIT’s Education Arcade and the Learning Games Network
- Leslie Redd, Chief of Content and Partner Relations, LearnBIG
- Constance Steinkuehler, Associate Professor, University of Wisconsin
- Lucien Vattel, Chief Executive Officer, GameDesk