Games can be—and are—meaningful vehicles for learning. But for learning games to be used on a large scale in schools, games must not only help students learn, but help them… more »
Jane Canner is the senior education adviser at Classroom, Inc. and previously served as president from 2007 through 2012. Canner has taught both elementary school and graduate courses, was a test developer and educational researcher, and directed the New York City Department of Education’s research and student testing departments. She has a Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from Fordham University, and is a trustee of the Martin de Porres School for troubled youth in New York.
"Pre- and post-test data show that at the end of the year-long pilot, kids were on average performing at the same level academically as intermediate kindergartners. In three measured skill sets related to early reading, children were on average performing at the same level as beginning first-graders." Via Courier Journal. August 8, 2017
"The amount teachers have to deal with on a day to day basis is growing consistently and it is understandable there is a lack of time for extras such as tech. The trouble is that tech is part of our daily lives and children need to master tech beyond using their iPad and mobile phones to have relevant job skills." Via BDaily. August 8, 2017
"Against the dazzling games showcase and the design lessons that their creators shared, a hard but familiar reality set in: where is the support—from funders, from buyers—to keep these efforts financially sustainable?"
-- Via EdSurge. August 4, 2017
- What should we be focusing on more? Link --> via @games_learning, Nov 13
- RT @bjornjeffery: Personal news: it’s time to take a break. I’m stepping down as Toca Boca CEO. Link -->, Sep 19
- RT @mhhighered: 🕹 How focusing on 'small data' can power-up game-based learning: Link --> via @Games_Learning #GBL #analytics, Sep 13
- #GBL Developers Sketch Out Varied Approaches to Market #G4C17 #edtech Link --> via @games_learning, Aug 8
- The #GBL industry needs a platform to connect with an audience looking & willing to pay for quality games. #edtech Link -->, Aug 4